snow

Blogger Widgets Blogspot Tutorial

Thursday, May 05, 2011

On the Silver Couch : Gloria Maria Cappelletti

PhotoGloria

Gloria Maria Cappelletti

You as an art dealer why you chose to work mainly with artists creating on the web?

I strongly believe that critical art forms should always lead people to actually question social life. We live now in a Web 2.0 context and therefore I am interested in working with artists that attempt to break away from previously established patterns. Since, despite its relatively short life span, Net art has already developed its own characteristics, trends, and language as a medium, Net art must now reinterpret its own position as an art medium, in order to not become dated. This is actually a new challange and my desire is to work with the artists in this direction, and even change the rules of the art market. Internet art extends this debate into new territories. The medium has characteristics that are new to art, and many of these further break down the traditional definition of ‘artist’ and also blur the line between artist and viewer. My aim is to provoke an interrogation of the ‘mainstream’.


I feel Milan art scene is having a vibe again. Is it really happening?

I actually feel that Milan is still in a state of inescapable conformity. Hopefully the Internet will set the stage for a chance for art to find freedom once again from the numbing apathy of the culture industry, but I doubt Milan will set this path. In my opinion there is a surprising lack of venues for young emerging artists. Unlike New York, London or Berlin, there are not very many non-commercial venues for exposure. I thought it was appropriate for my gallery to offer this, as I would like to encourage experimentation. I extend this thinking into one night events, between monthly exhibitions, by giving artists a chance to do things in a laboratory kind of environment. I hope this can create some vibe in Milan.


Read Lifo version here

No comments: